Application for Architecture Bursary Award now open
The application process for the prestigious Stephen Lawrence architecture bursary award is now open, offering university students from Black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds the opportunity to receive financial support on their journey to becoming registered architects.
Bursaries are to be used to help with the cost of study, for example going towards the cost of architecture field trips, model making equipment, laptop, printing costs, living costs etc. In addition, each successful candidate will have the opportunity to:
- Become an Ambassador of the Trust and join the cohort of students in the SLCT class of 2020. This offers a unique opportunity to network with peers from other universities.
- Showcase work online, at exhibitions and through SLCT communications to partner organisations.
- Benefit from one to one mentoring with Architects from partner practices.
- To apply, download and complete the application form here.
- The deadline for applications to be submitted is Friday the 7th of June.
- Shortlisted students will be notified on the 17th of June and subsequently invited to submit their portfolios and CVs. This will be followed by a panel interview to present their work and explain their ambitions and goals.
- Bursaries will be awarded to successful candidates in time for them to start the academic year in September.
The bursary is open to individuals pursuing their degree or master’s degree in Architecture. To focus our support on those most in need, candidates are carefully selected based on several criteria with an emphasis on diversity and under-representation. Participants will be UK residents who are either already studying or have secured a place to start their course in September.
You can find information about last year’s bursary recipients here.
Workshops are facilitated by our partner practices who support the Building Futures programme. Led by architects and related industry specialists, workshops can expand your skillset and strengthen your job applications. We deliver opportunities to learn about the architecture profession as well as the subject itself.
- Employability skills training
- CV and portfolio improvement
- CAD and BIM software training
- Drawing and representation skills
- Presentation practice and how to set up your own company
Workshops will also include site visits and tours of offices. Visiting a live construction project or architecture office allows you to learn how architecture theory is put into practice and see first-hand the scale and complexities of a construction site.