Up and down the UK, organisations large and small are getting involved in activities to mark Stephen Lawrence Day. Here’s some simple ideas for how your organisation and staff can get involved. Activity can take place on or around the day itself at a time that best suits your business.
Follow our Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust social media accounts and re-share our messages. Find us here:
o Twitter /S_LawrenceTrust
o Instagram /s_lawrencetrust
o Facebook /stephenlawrencecharitabletrust
- Join in with the conversation and highlight your support for the day by using the hashtags #BecauseofStephen and #SLDay on your own organisation’s communication channels. Download our suggested messages here.
- Encourage staff to tell the world what difference Stephen Lawrence has made to their lives. Download our #BecauseofStephen selfie frame and share on your social media accounts. Choose from our existing messages or create your own.
Help spread the word
- Ask staff to add our Stephen Lawrence Day signature to their emails. Download here.
- Include a story about the day in your internal staff newsletter or add a news story to your website. We’ve provided some suggested copy to use here.
Show your commitment
Show your commitment as an organisation to creating a fairer society and support the work of the Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust to enable us to continue growing Stephen Lawrence Day and reach even more young people.
- Become a Corporate Friend of Trust in return for a number of benefits. Find out more.
- Set up Payroll Giving and encourage staff to donate an hour of their pay in April by offering to match-fund all donations made. It’s easy to do and is taken pre-tax. Find out more.
Have fun raising funds
Using Stephen Lawrence Day as an opportunity to raise funds can be a great way to bring staff together, helping boost morale and encourage team building whilst having fun. There are lots of ways to do this, here are our top five ideas.
- Organise a dress down (or up) day with staff invited to wear something orange – Stephen’s favourite colour – and make a donation in return
- Run an office marathon. April is London Marathon month and Stephen was a keen runner so why not set up a running challenge with staff teaming up to walk or run a mile each to complete the equivalent of the London marathon. Bonus points for the fastest mile!
- Host a skills exchange session where colleagues can share their expertise with each other in return for a donation, whether it’s how to finally get to grips with power-point or how to make a winning elevator pitch
- Encourage employees from across the organisation to break out of their usual teams and come together for a shared picnic lunch with everyone contributing a dish and donating what they would have paid at the office cafe or local shop
- Uncover the team’s hidden baking stars and hold The Great Office Bake-off. Charge people to sample a slice of cake and give each one a mark out of 10
For more inspiration why not download our corporate fundraising pack full of ideas, advice and guidance.