Stephen Lawrence Day is an opportunity for young people and communities to get involved in activities that bring Stephen’s legacy to life. Activity can take place on or around the day itself at a time that best suits the school. If you want to get involved in making a longer-term difference, why not download our Community Social Action Toolkit with guidance around how to set up a social action or community project for Stephen Lawrence Day.
There are many ways your school & community can participate, and here are just a few.
- Stephen’s favourite colour was orange. You could wear orange on Stephen Lawrence Day
- Stephen was a member of a running club. Run a mile a day for Stephen, and you’ll have run the equivalent of a marathon (26.2 miles) in under a month! Alternatively, you could take a more artistic approach and design a finish line for your school sports day. Read about our recent London Marathon Mile Marker competition here
- Stephen wanted to be an architect. Draw a design for a futuristic building which you can make for any purpose that helps the planet, is eco-friendly and encourages sustainable living
- Stephen’s story resulted in a change in the law (double jeopardy). Plan a change that you can make happen that will bring benefit to your school or local community. You can read about our community social action work ideas here
- Stephen’s charity supports aspiring architects. Plan and execute a fundraiser that you can manage with a small group of friends to donate to your charity of choice or to Stephen’s Charity to help its work. Read about fundraising ideas here
- You could also visit the Stephen Lawrence Research Centre & Archive at De Montfort University. Find out more on their website
Share your ideas with us! We would love to hear about what you’re doing to celebrate Stephen Lawrence Day. Please email us at email@example.com
If you would like to mark the day by raising funds for the Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust, we’ve got lots of fun ideas for fundraising. You could run an event or activity that everyone can get involved in – it doesn’t need to be hard work to be high impact.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Get baking and hold a cake sale
- Host a community swap shop for people to swap clothes, books or household items they no longer want in return for making a donation
- Run a mile for the Trust. Stephen was a keen runner, so why not set up a fun running challenge in return for getting sponsored?
- Showcase the wealth of talents in your community by hosting a variety show! Encourage everyone to learn new skills or show off hidden expertise, then invite family and friends to buy tickets to come and watch
- There are more great ideas for activities and guidance in our Fundraising Pack.
Make a pledge ‘Because of Stephen’
Make a pledge ‘Because of Stephen’ with either something you are planning to do in the future because of Stephen, or awesome things you have already done in his name. The idea is built around the theme of ‘Live our best life’, encouraging young people to take positive action in their own lives or in their community so that they and others can live their best life.
The sky is the limit! Whatever it is, make sure that it means something to you. Whether it is about your ambitions or the lives of those around you, think about something inspiring you want to do.
We’d love to inspire others with what you’re doing. Let us know what you’re up to by tagging us into your social media posts and updating our activities map!
Find us here
Join in with the conversation and show your support for the day by using the hashtags #BecauseofStephen and #SLDay.
We’ve got more great ideas in our sections for schools, communities, and organisations below.