Stephen Lawrence Day is about the part we all play in creating a society in which everyone can flourish. It is an opportunity for children and young people to have their voices heard, make the changes they’d like to see and create a society that treats everyone with fairness and respect. Through Stephen Lawrence Day we want young people to be inspired about what they can achieve in their own lives. We want them to get involved in creating the kind of community they want to live in and we want them to have a strong voice in building a fairer and more inclusive society.
Why get involved?
We know that lots of events and activities people would normally be taking part in have had to be cancelled. Getting involved in Stephen Lawrence Day is a chance to be part of a national conversation and show your commitment to creating a fairer society in which everyone has the opportunity to live their best life. This year, in particular, it is a chance to show how small changes and simple things that we can all do can make a huge difference.
Supporting the day
We want you to join us in marking the day!
- Discover the next poetry sensation – Young people from the Eggtooth project in Hastings were inspired to write and perform spoken word poetry about Stephen’s life. Why not get people in your group to write their own poem using the title ‘Live your best life: a poem for Stephen’ . Ask them to share it with the group. Even better, if they’re feeling confident they could post it online for others to enjoy! Download pack here.
- Draw on your talents – Why not hold a competition to design a poster that celebrates Stephen’s life – you can hold an virtual exhibition by putting everyone’s entries on your website, if you have one, or getting everyone to post them on their own social media. It’s a great way to share some positive images.
Make a difference
- #ChallengeAccepted – Do something simple to help others and pass it on! As we approach Stephen Lawrence Day this year, everyone is facing their own challenges, making it the perfect time to show your support to other people in your community. Is there something you can do as a group, or challenge people in your community to help others through simple acts of kindness and post it on social media – let’s make Stephen Lawrence Day full of small, positive actions that make a difference! Download here.
- Make some noise #BecauseOfStephen – Help us reach as many people as possible with our positive message about Stephen Lawrence Day by telling the world what a difference Stephen’s story has made to you. Take a photo of yourself holding one of our #BecauseOfStephen cards and share on your social media accounts. Choose from our existing messages or write your own personalised message OR simply write your own using pen and paper!
- Share our two minute Because of Stephen film – Designed to encourage and inspire young people to take positive action to live their best life. Find our video here.
Build a community of people making a difference – Whatever you choose to do for Stephen Lawrence Day, we would love it if you would help us build a community of people making a difference. The more people who post on social media, the bigger our impact will be and the more people will be inspired by what you do. You can be part of it by using the hashtags:
And don’t forget to tag us in, so we can tell others: