Intelligence Officer Overview – Secret Intelligence Service (MI6)
As a Intelligence Officer your focus will be gathering, delivering, and utilising intelligence. These are fascinating and unique roles. Whether working with government departments to identify the intelligence requirements, overseeing a targeting effort to develop an operation, or reporting back to senior government Ministers. You will be at the forefront of keeping this country safe and secure.
If successful in your application, you will undertake an initial training course. This will allow MI6 to assess and develop your skills. In your career you will undertake a variety of the roles mentioned above, and have the opportunity to work overseas, receiving language training where appropriate.
As your career develops you will have opportunity to broaden your skills and look to move into management an leadership positions.
You will receive a competitive starting salary and also benefit from additional allowances and support.
- British Citizen
- One parent also a British Citizen (or have substantial ties to the UK)
- Minimum 2.2 Degree
- Lived in the UK for the majority of the past 10 years
What they are looking for:
- Personify values of courage, respect, integrity and creativity.
- Motivated to make a difference to the safety of the UK.
- Interest in people and what makes them tick.
- Life experience and curiosity about the world.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence
- Works well within a team, has sound judgement, confident in own abilities
- A sharp intellect and analytical capability with an ability to link disparate data in order to draw conclusions
- A drive to acquire knowledge and an ability to absorb new learning across a diverse range of subjects
- An interest in foreign culture is essential, including an interest in living and working overseas and learning foreign languages
Thinking of applying?
You should only discuss your application with your partner or one close family member, as long as they are British. They should be made aware of the need for discretion.
Contrary to some people’s pre-conceptions, there is not an MI6 ‘type’. MI6 strives for diversity in the work place and is committed to the creation and maintenance of a climate in which all staff are treated fairly on the grounds of merit and ability. You are judged solely by the value that you can add to their work.
MI6 is proud to be working with the Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust in order to demonstrate commitment to recruiting from a diverse pool.
To apply: please email your CV and covering letter (specifically stating how you meet the criteria) to email@example.com by Friday 19th October at midday.